Hygiene of Foods of Animal Origin
- The antimicrobial effect of aromatic essential oils against foodborne pathogens such as Escherichia coli O157:H7, Staphylococcus aureus, Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella spp.
- The antioxidant activities of aromatic essential oils of Greek herbs in foods of animal origin.
- Occurrence and behavior of foodborne pathogens in foods.
- Effect of modified atmosphere packaging, essential oils and bacteriocins on foodborne pathogens in foods.
- Toxins of foodborne pathogens in foods.
- Lipid and protein oxidation
- The effect of animal feeding in safety of produced animal products.
Dr Alexander Govaris is a graduate of Veterinary Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and got his Doctor of Philosophy degree, at The Strathclyde University, Food Science Division, Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Glasgow, United Kingdom. He has been a teaching member of various Departments of University of Thessaly since 1986 (ex TEI of Thessaly) and he has been lecturing in the Veterinary Medicine Faculty of University of Thessaly since 1997. He has been lecturing and is member of the executive committee of the post graduate program “Applied Public Health and Environmental Hygiene), Medical Faculty, University of Thessaly since 2007. He lectured in 3 post graduate programs of University of Thessaly. Ηe was member of the advisory thesis committees of 40 postgraduate students and supervisor of 15 postgraduate theses (MSc). He was supervisor of 4 PhD theses and member of the advisory thesis committees of 8 PhD theses. He was Vice-President (2011-12) and President (2014-16) of the Veterinary Faculty. He was an elected member of the Geotechnical Chamber of Greece (GEOTTE) of the regional office of Central Greece (2008-2011). He is a member of International Dairy Federation (IDF), Diplomate of the European College of Veterinary Public Health (Food Science), the official member of University of Thessaly in the cooperation article 32 of European Food safety Authority (EFSA). He has been reviewer of scientific papers in 42 international peer reviewed journals with impact factor. He has been an external evaluator of research proposal submitted in the Research Ministry of Romania. He was the scientific director of 8 research programs and participants in 7 research programs. He collaborated with several Laboratories of Universities in Greece or abroad. He is an author of 85 research papers in international peer reviewed journals with 2370 citations (scopus) and 3 chapters in books in English language.