Parasitology - Parasitic diseases of animals
Toxocara spp, Ancylostoma spp, Dirofilaria spp, Echinococcus spp, Dypilidium sp, Toxoplasma sp, Neospora sp, Cryptosporidium spp, Giardia spp, ectoparasitoses of companion and farm animals
Menelaos Lefkaditis is a graduate of the Department of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Thessaloniki (1984). He holds a PhD in Veterinary Medicine from USAMV University in Cluj (2004). From March 1985 to February 1987 he completed his military service as a veterinarian, while from 1987 to 2012 he practiced as a private veterinarian. During the years 2004 to 2007 he was a Scientific and Laboratory collaborator of the ATEI of Thessaloniki, in the Department of Animal Production. Then he undertook the teaching of the courses of Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases (independent teaching) at the Department of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Thessaly according to law 407/90 with assignment from 2007 to 2012. On 12-1-2012 he was elected Lecturer at the Laboratory of Microbiology and Parasitology of the department while from 18-1-2017 he holds the position of Assistant Professor of Parasitology - Parasitic Diseases. He is supervising 2 doctoral dissertations while he has published 46 papers in reputable international veterinary journals.
- Leader of the research project entitled: «Prevalence of the Neospora Caninum in cattles of Greek farms and their immune status in relation with the abortions». Funding Body: Research Commitee of the University of Thessaly.
- Member of the scientific team of the research project entitled “Prevalence of Toxoplasmosis in the pigs of Thessaly region” Funding body: Research Committee of the University of Thessaly. Leader: Prof V Papatsiros
- Member of the research team of the program “LIFE ARCPROM: Improving human-bear coexistence in 4 National Parks of South Europe” Funding: European Union. Leader: Ch. Billinis
SUPERVISORY PROFESSOR IN DOCTORAL THESIS
- Doctoral candidate Tsakiroglou Metaxenia
- Doctoral candidate Spanoudis Kyriakos
• Menelaos A. Lefkaditis & Anna V. Sossidou & Alexandros H. Panorias & Smaragda E. Koukeri & Anamaria I. Paştiu & Labrini V. Athanasiou. Urban stray cats infested by ectoparasites with zoonotic potential in Greece. (2015). Parasitology Research
• Lefkaditis M.A., Athanasiou L.V., Ionica A.M., Koukeri S.E., Panorias A., Eleftheriadis T.G. and Boutsini S. (2016) Ectoparasite Infestations of Urban Stray Dogs in Greece and Their Zoonotic Potential n Tropical Biomedicine 33(2):226-230 ·
• M. Lefkaditis , R. Mpairamoglou, A. Sossidou, K. Spanoudis, M. Tsakiroglou (2019) Neospora caninum, α potential cause of reproductive failure in dairy cows from Northern Greece. Veterinary Parasitology: Regional Studies and Reports. Available online 09 December 2019 2405-9390/ © 2019 Published by Elsevier B.V
• Lefkaditis M, Mpairamoglou R, Sossidou A, Spanoudis K, Tsakiroglou P, Györke A (2020) Importance of colostrum IgG antibodies level for prevention of infection with Cryptosporidium parvum in neonatal dairy calves. Journal. Preventive Veterinary Medicine.